So, I just got a new Droid 2 phone, and it came with a quick-guide that SUCKED to say the least. It told me nothing about how to run the phone, and since I have never had an Iphone, I was clueless. Here are some tips that I have since found. I hope they help you a bit…
How to Extend Battery Life
The first thing that I noticed is that the battery does not last long at all. I am talking charging it every day just like you have to charge a blackberry with no signal. Here are some tips I found and learned:
– Use static wallpaper (not live wallpaper)
– Disable “Background data” (Settings -> Accounts & sync)
– Disable screen auto rotate (Settings -> Display)
– Reduce screen brightness (lower better, or use auto brightness)
– Use wifi when available, and set timeout to “never” (Settings -> Wifi -> [MENU] -> Advance -> Wi-Fi sleep policy), over a long.
– Disable Google Latitude, Loopt or any geo-location service you have running in the background. These cause the device to wakeup (cpu power), not to mention GPS usage and network IO.
– gmail filters – If you have a heavy email load on your gmail account, consider setting up filters, so there will be less data in your inbox to sync
– Remove / uninstall weather / new widgets (these widgets will periodically generate network traffic to get the state of the news / weather causing power drain).
– Do not install Labyrinth Lite, the game is leaks a reference to the accelerometer sensor, causing a constant power drain until the phone has been rebooted (exiting the app or multi-task switching does not fix this)
– Increase update times from twitter / Facebook to 1+ hours
How do you download or create new Ringtones?
1. Begin by obtaining the clip of your selected MP3 for your Motorola DROID ring tone. This can be done by using various software.
2. Connect the Motorola ANDROID into your computer via the USB cable that came in the handset’s box.
3. A notification will pop up informing that you have connected the phone with a computer. Choose Mount. If that option does not pop up, use the notification section to change the USB settings and change it to PC.
4. Open the drive on you handset and create a new folder and name it as “ringtones” (all lower case).
5. Copy the ringtone you’ve obtained from your PC and paste it in the newly created “ringtones” folder on the drive of your handset.
6. Eject the drive and unplug the DROID from your PC.
7. Set new new ring tone by going to Home -> Settings-> Sound & Display -> Phone Ringtone. Select the newly uploaded ringtone and… you are done!